Exploring Polar Frontiers: A Historical Encyclopedia
ABC-CLIO, 2003 - Počet stran: 797
Covers the entire history of Arctic and Antarctic exploration, from the voyage of Pytheas ca. 325 B.C. to the present, in one convenient, comprehensive reference resource.
* 511 A-Z biographical, geographical, and subject entries on polar exploration such as dogs, man-hauling, Elephant Island, South Georgia, and major explorers such as Sir John Franklin, Fridtjof Nansen, and Richard Byrd
* Extensive collection of photographs, many taken by expedition participants
* Vivid illustrations, including woodcuts and drawings
* 20 maps detailing Arctic and Antarctic regions
* Chronology of expeditions beginning with the voyage of Pytheas in 325 B.C. through the present
Výsledky 1-3 z 48
The entrance to the sea was reached on 16 August, but at 73°14'N he found
himself surrounded by ice with no option but to turn back to winter on the Kureyka
River, an eastern tributary of the Yenisey. The following year, his start was
In August 1858, Leopold McClintock attempted to sail through the sound but
penetrated only 25 miles before being forced to turn back by ice stretching from
shore to shore. He described it as much decayed and of one year's growth only,
With little further apparently to discover, Ronne decided to turn at 77°30'S, 72°W,
where the American flag was dropped, before heading back along his course to
within 30 miles of Mount Austin, where he now turned to the southeast to follow ...
Co říkají ostatní - Napsat recenzi
MacMillan Donald 18741970
Fiala Anthony 18691950 222
Malygin Stepan d 1764
Další části 64 nejsou zobrazeny.