« PředchozíPokračovat »
For Historical, Literary, and Classical Works, &c., see the Publisher's Catalogues.'
* A FAMILIAR HISTORY of BIRDS; their Nature, LIGHT IN DARKNESS; or the RECORDS of a ' Habits, and Instincts. By EDWARD STANLEY, D.D., Lord
LAGE RECTORY. 3s. 6d. Bishop of Norwich, Pres. Lin. Soc. New Edition. Two Vols.
THE VILLAGE SCHOOLMASTI With many Engravings, 78.
THE RETIRED TRADESMAN,
THE VILLAGE APOTHECARS THE GOOD AUNT.
THE DESERTED WIFE, * DOMESTICATED ANIMALS considered with reference
THE FAMILY AT THE HALL; or, PRIDE AND POVERTY, to Civilization and the Arts. By MARY ROBERTS. Also,
THE DEAF AND DUMB BOY; a Tale : with * WILD ANIMALS; their Nature, Habits, and Instincts,
Account of the Mode of Educating the Deaf and Dumb. B and the Regions they inhabit. Both with Engravings. 3s, 6d. each. Rev. W. FLETCHER, M.A. 2s.6d, * MINERALS and METALS; their Natural History and THE STOLEN CHILD, or, the Travelling Showmat Uses in the Arts; with Accounts of Mines and Mining. With En
Tale. By CHARLOTTE ADAMS. ls. 6d. gravings. 2s. 6d.
THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL; or, Lindenh * SISTER MARY'S TALES in NATURAL HISTORY. Parish; a Tale. By R. M, ZORNLIN. 2s. 6d. With Engravings. 2s. 6d.
FIVE HUNDRED CHARADES, from History, ( THE HOUSE I LIVE IN; or, Popular Illustrations of the
graphy, and Biography. Is. 6d. Structure and Functions of the Human Body. With Cuts, 2s, 6d.
* PERSIAN STORIES ; illustrative of EASTERN MA “ I am fearfully and wonderfully made !"
NERS and CUSTOMS. ls. And, The House I Live in, is a curious building, one of the most curious in the world. * * * * You cannot closely behold it without being struck with the wisdom PERSIAN FABLES, for Young and Old. By the I displayed in its design, nor without feeling the mind elevatod and improved by a contemplation of that goodness which has provided everything so admirably adapted
H. G. KEENE, M.A. 1s. to the purposes intended to be fulfilled.
FABLES and MORAL MAXIMS. Selected by AN * THE ELEMENTS OF BOTANY. With many Engra PARKER. 38. 60. vings. New Edition, Enlarged and Improved. With Cuts, 2s. Without insisting upon the value of Fables, in the direct business of education
pleasure with which they are alınost universally perused by young people, and CONVERSATIONS ON GARDENING AND NATURAL agreeable facility with which they may, consequently, be made the medium
certain kind of instruction, cannot be denied. It, however, singularly hapi HISTORY. With Engravings, 28. 6d.
that, of the numerous collections published from time to time, a large majo
and particularly sone which are known as School Editions of Æsop's, an THE BOOK OF TREES; describing the Nature and Gar's, FABLES, abound in suljects and expressions, not merely repulsive
Products of the principal Timber Trees, and the larger species of quently, immoral, tendency. * * * * Every objection of this kind has been wl Palms. With numerous Engravings. 2s.
avoided in the present work. **** Most of the favourite old Fables, in the
Collections, are retained ; but, in accordance with the plan of this work, the lil * BOOK of ANIMALS. BOOK of BIRDS. BOOK of of altering objectionable passages has been freely exercised.
FISHES. BOOK of REPTILES. BOOK of SHELLS. POPULAR POEMS FOR YOUNG. PERSONS; selec Is. 6d, each. With numerous Engravings.
by ELIZABETH PARKER, 3s. 6d. BRITISH SONG BIRDS. By NEVILLE WOOD.
As poems of great beauty and high literary merit,-productions which at on honour to their writers, and are a boon to their admirers, -are continually! put forth, though frequently in a manner that renders them inaccessible to general reader, new collections become necessary, wherein to enshrine such
tered treasures, and thereby to extend the knowledge, and perpetuate the des FIRST SUNDAYS AT CHURCH, or Familiar Conver- popularity, of productions which might otherwiso remain comparatively unka
and unenjoyed. sations on the Morning and Evening Services. By the Rev. J. E. RIDDLE, M.A., Author of Luther and his Times. 3s. 6d.
* READINGS IN POETRY. A Selection from the W ABBOTTS READER; a Series of Familiar Pieces in
of the best English Poets, from Spenser to the present times;
Specimons of the American Poets; Notices of the Writers; Prose and Verse. By the Authors of The Young Christian ; The
Explanatory Notes. 45. 6d. Corner Stone ; The Teacher ; &c. 3s.
* READINGS IN SCIENCE; being FAMILIAR EXP * CONVERSATIONS of a FATHER with his CHIL
NATIONS of some of the most interesting Appearances and Pi DREN. Two Vols., with Engravings, 5s. 6d.
ples in NATURAL PHILOSOPHY. With many Engravinge PETER PARLEY'S UNIVERSAL HISTORY for the THE YOUNG LADY'S FRIEND; a Manual of Prac
YOUNG, on the BASIS of GEOGRAPHY. With upwards of Advice and Instruction to Young Females, on their ent
Two Hundred Engravings on Wood ; handsomely bound. 78. 6d. upon the Duties of Life, after quitting School. By a LADY. 3 This work, an entirely new production of its highly popular Author, is printed from
* EDUCATION AND TREATMENT OF CHILDR a copy specially forwarded by him to this country for the purpose. In adapting it for the English Public, great pains have been taken to avoid those national peculi the Mother's Book, adapted to the use of Parents and Teat arities by which his earlier works have been disfigured, preserving, at the same time 23, 6d. an attractive style and felicitous manner of conveying instruction. This genuine, English edition will, therefore, be found an invaluable addition to our educational works, and prove every way worthy of the confidence of parents and teachers. TALES AND STORIES from HISTORY. By AGNES
MRS. GODWIN'S TALES FOR YOUNG PERSON STRICKLAND. Two Vols., with many Engravings, 78,
1. COUSIN KATE; or, the Punishment of Pride; a Tale. * SCENES AND SKETCHES from ENGLISH HISTORY.
2. BASIL HARLOW ; or, Prodigality is not Generosity. With Cuts, 3s. 6d.
3. ESTHER MORE; or, Truth is Wisdom.
4. LOUISA SEYMOUR; or, Hasty Impressions.“ THE HISTORY OF SANDFORD AND MERTON;
5. ALICIA GREY; or, To be Useful is to be Happy. originally written by THOMAS Day, for the Use of Young Persons : Revised, Modernized, and Abridged, by ROSINA MARIA
6. JOSEPHINE; or, Early Trials. ZORNLIN. With many Cuts. 35. 6d.
With Engravings, 2s, each,
LONDON: JOHN W. PARKER, WEST STRAND.