Obrázky stránek

forty miles south of Deadwood, Dakota, and brought to Knoxville. He was afterward taken to Fort Madison for safe keeping until the following term of court. He was brought back to Knoxville in May, following, when he plead guilty of receiving money stolen from the county treasury and was sentenced, by Judge Winslow, to a term of five years in the penitentiary, which together with a former sentence of twenty years will afford him ample opportunity to repent, as well as give him a chance to do for the State some very effective service at some useful trade.


On Wednesday morning, June 25, 1873, between dawn and sunrise, the house of Gilbert Barr, situated four miles west of Red Rock, was burned. together with all the contents. The saddest feature of the catastrophe was the fatal burning of Effie Robertson, a girl aged eleven years.

Mr. Barr arose early in the morning and went out to attend to some work. After he had left the house the girl arose and lighted a lamp; the oil being low in the lamp she procured an oil-can and undertook to fill the lamp without first extinguishing it.

Fire was communicated to the oil within the can, which exploded, setting fire to the girl's clothes and igniting the inflammable material in the room. Mr. Barr, who was some distance from the house, heard the explosion and hastened to the house. He rushed into the room through the flames and rescued the girl, but not till after her clothes were burned from her body; he also succeeded in gathering up one of his own children, who was yet in the house and escaped with the two through a window. Before Mr. Barr arrived Mrs. Barr sncceeded in rescuing the other small children from the burning house and in doing so was badly burned herself. The girl, Effie. died in about two hours after the accident. None of Mr. Barr's family were fatally injured.


A number of crimes were committed in early times, the details of which have been forgotten and the records of which have been destroyed. It is perhaps well enough that such is the case; it would probably be well enough if the coming generation of Marion county could be kept in ignorance of the madness and folly of some of their predecessors. It would be well enough to refer to two other crimes committed in early times at Red Rock: the murder of Burns by Shaw, and the killing of Lloyd by Wines. Near the close of the long and tedious trial of the latter one of the jurymen became seriously sick, and the case had to be continued till the next term of court. Just before the next term of court the case was suddenly and finally disposed of by the death of the defendant, Wines.



THE census of 1860 showed that Marion county at that time had a popu lation of between sixteen and seventeen thousand people. There were in the county at that time, according to the vote for Secretary of State, three thousand one hundred and twenty-seven voters. The number of men which

the county sent into the Union armies during the War of the Rebellion was one thousand three hundred and seventy-two. Thus the county furnished one soldier for about every twelve inhabitants, or one for every two and a half voters.

At the outbreak of the war the people of Marion county were in the full tide of activity and prosperity. Her material resources were being rapidly developed and the various branches of business and the learned professions were keeping pace in the first ranks of progress. The people were just recovering from the financial crisis of 1857, and those who had toiled in the land during those times which tried men's souls had begun to see the dawning of better days. Immediately surrounded by the noise of industry and the continuous hum of business they heard little and believed less of the rumored plots and plans.of those who lived to grow rich from the toil and sweat of others, and whose leading branch of trade was the traffic in souls and bodies of men. But still the war was upon them, and the thundering of cannon at the very gates of the National Capital soon broke the spell of busy peace, and they soon passed from a serious contemplation of the possibility of war to the realization of its actual presence and the duties which the issues of the day made incumbent upon them as loyal citizens of the Union.

Fort Sumter was fired upon April 12, 1861, and on the 15th of the same month. the President issued the following proclamation:

"WHEREAS, The laws of the United States have been and are now opposed in several States by combinations too powerful to be suppressed in an ordinary way, I therefore call upon the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of 75,000, to suppress the said combination and execute the laws. I appeal to all loyal citizens for State aid in this effort to maintain the laws, integrity, National Union, perpetuity of popular government, and redress wrongs long enough endured.

"The first service assigned forces will probably be to re-possess forts, places and property which have been seized from the Union. The utmost care should be taken, consistent with our object, to avoid devastation, destruction and interference with property of peaceable citizens in any part of the country, and I hereby command persons commanding the aforesaid combinations to disperse within twenty days from date.

"I hereby convene both houses of Congress for the 4th day of July next, 'to determine upon measures for the public safety as its interests may demand.



"Secretary of State."

"ABRAHAM LINCOLN, "President of the United States.

Marion county furnished not only her quota of men but furnished also her full proportion of brave, heroic and fighting men. Marion county soldiers were on the forced march, the prolonged siege and the hotly contested battle-field, the peers of any soldiers who fought in the war. Many of them passed safely through the dangers and vicissitudes of the struggle, and are now among the most thrifty and enterprising citizens of the county. Others, many of them, succumbed to the deadly diseases so incident to army life, and fell by the wayside along the weary march, or fell in the

heat of battle. The memory of all alike is sacred to the people of the county, the State and the nation.

The following list of all those who volunteered from Marion county has been carefully compiled from the Adjutant-General's reports:


The Third infantry was made up from nearly every part of the State. It was emphatically a Hawkeye Regiment. It rendezvoused at Keokuk, and was mustered into the United States service June 10, 1861. When it embarked on board the train, for the field, July 1st, it was magnificently equipped with burnished old Springfield rifles of "1848." Not a cartridge, not a ration of food, not a round of ammunition, not even a field officer above the rank of captain. This was but the prelude to what subsequently proved the saddest history of all the regiments which Iowa sent to the war. It moved to northern Missouri, and its first night in the field was near Utica, where, supperless and tired, they threw themselves on the damp ground, without even establishing a picket-post, trusting alone in Providence. Near midnight of the 3d they were first introduced to the Gray-backs." Its first engagement was at Hagar's Woods, where, under the command of Col. Smith, of the Sixteenth Illinois, they met the enemy. The force consisted of about 450 men, supported by a six-pounder swivel gun, manned by Sergeant Fishbeem. Moving out from Monroe, on the line of the railroad, they came on the enemy's scouts, who at once opened fire upon them. Mr. Fishbeem hurried his artillery to the front, and quickly sent the enemy flying in all directions, when Col. Smith, under cover of night, retired. The next movement was from Macon City to Kirksville to rout the enemy, who, under Green, were in camp on Salt River, which was successfully accomplished, under command of Lieutenant-colonel Scott.

[ocr errors]

At Blue Mills Landing, Missouri, September 17, 1861, the regiment fought its first hard fight, which, though unsuccessful, was unequaled for bravery and promptness to action, in the whole history of the war in Missouri. It remained in northern Missouri until October 18, 1861, when it went to Quincy, Illinois, whence after a few weeks it moved to St. Louis; thence out along the North Missouri Railroad, where it remained until March, 1862, when it sailed for Savannah, on the Tennessee River. March 17 it disembarked at Pittsburg Landing with the fourth division under General Hurlbut. It was assigned to the first brigade, commanded by Colonel Williams. In April following, the regiment took part in the ever memorable battle of Shiloh, making for itself an imperishable record. The divis ions of Hurlbut and Smith were in camp in front of the landing. Prentiss, McClernad and Sherman, with their divisions, held the front, from right to left. While the Third were eating breakfast on the morning of the 16th, they were startled by firing at the front, which was soon followed by the call" to arms." Leaving their breakfast unfinished, the Third was quickly in line, and marching to the front under command of its major, its colonel being in command of a brigade, and its lieutenant-colonel sick and absent. It moved at quickstep to the front, at the right of its brigade, but the left of the entire army. To its right were the first and second brigades and Wallace's division, in which were the Twenty-seventh, Twelfth and Fourteenth Iowa regiments. This position the Third held until four


o'clock in the afternoon, until the troops on their right and left had been utterly routed. The Eighth, Twelfth and Fourteenth were captured. It was at this position the enemy hurled its forces for five hours, in unsuc cessful attempt to break it, but which was finally accomplished by flank movements. It has always been a marvel how the Third got through the circling lines of the enemy. Of the 450 officers and men of the regiment engaged in this battle, more than two hundred were killed and wounded. The correct historian attributes to stubborn valor of Iowa troops the saving of Grant's army from capture at Shiloh. During the siege of Corinth the Third was present, but took no active part. After the fall of Corinth, the regiment went with Sherman to Memphis, and led the van into the city July 21. September 6 the regiment moved back toward Memphis, and October 5, 1862, took part in the battle of the Hatchie, with two killed and sixty wounded. Little of importance transpired with the regiment for several months subsequent. May 18, 1863, it left Memphis for Vicksburg and its days of rest were ended. It shared in the capture of that stronghold, and then set out with Sherman against Johnson, who had planted himself at Jackson, Mississippi, where an unsuccessful attempt was made to dislodge him July 12. The regiment returned to Vicksburg, thence sailed to Natchez and joined Sherman in his march to Meridian. Soon after its term expired, when it re-enlisted as "vets," came North on a furlough, in the spring of 1864. It returned to the front, and joined Sherman in his march to the sea, and at Atlanta, July 22, was put in the front and lost heavily. Its color-sergeant was killed and the colors captured. Subsequently, some of the regiment who had been taken prisoners at Atlanta, saw their colors borne through the streets by a squad of cavalry. They rushed upon them, re-captured the colors and tore it in shreds. The regiment became decimated to 318 men, and July 8 consolidated with the Second, and on the 12th was mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky. It literally fought itself out of existence. Marion county was represented in this regiment in companies B and H.

For list of casualities, see page 184.

The following were staff officers from Marion county:

William M. Stone, major; wounded at Blue Mills Sept. 17, 1861; captured at Shiloh; promoted colonel Twenty-second infantry Nov. 22, 1862. Benj. F. Keables, assistant surgeon; promoted surgeon April 8, 1862. John W. Schooley, assistant surgeon; wounded at Vicksburg June 4, 1863; resigned June 21, 1864.

Prosper H. Jacobs, chaplain; resigned April 18, 1862.


Wm. M. Stone, captain; promoted
major July 6, 1861.
Daniel P. Long, first lieutenant;
promoted captain July 6, 1861;
resigned February 13, 1862.
Albert Hobbs, second lieutenant;
promoted captain February 14,
1862; wounded at Shiloh April 6,
and died April 8, 1862.

Benton A. Mathews, first sergeant;

promoted second lieutenant April 10, 1862; resigned October 15, 1862.

Johu L. Ruckman, second sergeant; promoted to captain September 4, 1862; died July 13, 1863, of wounds received at Jackson, Mississippi, July 12, 1863.

John C. Woodruff, third sergeant; wounded at Blue Mills, Mo., Sep

Enlisted May 21, 1861, unless otherwise stated.

tember 17, 1861; killed at Jackson, Mississippi, July 12, 1863. S. Sylvester Howell, fourth sergeant; promoted to first sergeant; to first lieutenant April 21, 1861; resigned October 31, 1862. Caleb Core, fifth sergeant; promoted to fourth sergeant; to second sergeant; to captain July 14, 1863; mustered out July 11, 1864. Francis M. Zuck, first corporal; discharged October 18, 1862. Joseph Ruckman, second corporal; promoted to second sergeant November 1, 1862; to second lieutenant November 1, 1862; died of wounds at Jackson, Mississippi, July 17, 1863.

John F. Norris, third corporal; wounded at Shiloh April 6, 1862; discharged November 8, 1862. Wm. H. Sumner, fourth corporal; captured at Shiloh.

Oliver H. S. Kennedy, fifth corporal; promoted to first lieutenant August 5, 1861; resigned April 19, 1862.

Thomas R. Smith, sixth corporal. Wm. A. Stuart, seventh corporal; promoted to fifth sergeant May 1, 1862; wounded at Shiloh. Henry H. Sherman, eighth corporal; killed accidentally at Chillicothe, Missouri, July 24, 1861. George Darrow, musician; promoted drum-major June 26, 1861; died at La Grange, Tenn., June 29, 1863.

George Henry, wagoner; died at Benton Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri, November 21, 1861. Andrew Gemmil, musician.


Agnew, Wallace G., wounded at Shiloh.

Armstrong, Henry.

Allender, Wm. H., promoted to seventh corporal May 1, 1862; wounded at Jackson, Mississippi,

July 12, 1863; died August 18, 1863. Andrews, James, wounded accidentally April 9, 1862; transferred to Marine Brigade July 3, 1863. Brobst, Daniel, wounded at Shiloh and Jackson, Mississippi. Bousquet, Herman F., transferred to singal corps, November 28, 1864. Bains, John M., transferred to Thirteenth Iowa infantry, November 19, 1861.

Ballar, Andrew T., transferred to marine service April 4, 1863. Bussey, William.

Conell, Wm. H., discharged October 4, 1862.

Coons, Henry E., died in Marion

county March 2, 1862, of scrofula. Cecil, Hiram F., wounded at Jackson, Mississippi, and died of wounds July 22, 1862. Cowman, Thomas J. Cook, Morton S.

Clark, Barrett W., wounded at Shi-
loh; transferred September 3,
1863, to invalid corps.
Cowles, Leonard A.
Cowan, George.

Collins, Thomas L., wounded at Shi-
loh; discharged August 13, 1862.
Dawson, Wm., killed at Jackson,
Mississippi, July 12, 1863.
Dennis, Jermiah H.
Darron, Augustus.

Farley, John, wounded at Hatchie River, Tennessee, October 5th, 1862.

Gregg, Tillman P., promoted to eighth corporal July 25, 1861; to captain April 10, 1862; resigned September 3, 1862.

Hart, Peter M., killed at Shiloh.
Hendrix, William, discharged No-
vember 21, 1861.
Horn, Peter S.

Hart, Wm. F., wounded at Blue Mills, Missouri, September 17, 1861; promoted to eighth corporal March 31, 1862; wounded at Shiloh.

Veteranized in the Second consolidated regiment.

« PředchozíPokračovat »